Dropbox is one of the most popular cloud applications for law firms. As a legal professional, you must consider the ethical obligation to maintain client confidentiality while using the cloud. This means employing reasonable measures to ensure security of data stored in the free, multi-user sync app. Do you enable security features whenever possible? If so, you’re on the right track, however, it’s also critical to avoid storing sensitive documents. Lawyers should utilize Dropbox for collaboration without storing confidential client information.
Here’s a few security tips for using Dropbox:
- Use a secure password containing a variety of letters, numbers, symbols, and mixed caps.
- Disable automatic user log-in on your computer and mobile devices.
- Enable two-factor authentication to avoid unauthorized access.
- Check out Boxcrypter to encrypt files before syncing.
While these security tips won’t prevent all security breaches, it’s important to improve your security measures and keep your data as safe as possible. Dropbox also offers a variety of convenient uses other than syncing, sharing, and backup:
- Enable the auto upload feature to automatically upload photos from your devices.
- Create a print queue folder and set up a script that will search the folder to enable remote printing while you’re away from home.
- Use 1Password to store passwords and use Dropbox as a password backup application.
- Use plugins such as WordPress Backup to Dropbox or Backup Box to back up your WordPress blog to Dropbox.
- Use Wappwolf to automatically share, convert files, sync, encrypt, decrypt, and employ actions in other applications such as Facebook or Evernote using Dropbox.
Looking to use Dropbox for traditional syncing, sharing, and backup purposes? MakeUseOf has created a chart to showcase a few of Dropbox’s useful tips and tricks. Here’s a few ways to make the most of your Dropbox use:
- Get extra storage: Dropbox will give you 250MB of extra space for each friend you invite to the service. Dropbox also gives free storage for reporting bugs.
- Share folders safely: Go to Dropbox account and click Share a Folder.
- Recover deleted files: Simply click the Show Deleted Files button and select Undelete.
- Turn Dropbox into a security camera: Enable your webcam to save captures to a Dropbox folder, then view the photos on your mobile device.
- Share photo galleries: Create a folder under Dropbox/Photos and put a few photos in the folder, then right-click on the gallery folder and copy the link to share with friends.
For more Dropbox tips, tricks, keyboard shortcuts, tools, and plugins; check out the useful chart below. That to makeuseof.com for this great graphic.
To learn more about Dropbox tips, tricks, and keyboard shortcuts, give us a call at (403) 274-7848 or send us an email at email@example.com. K&M Systems Intergration can help you utilize Dropbox without compromising the confidentiality of your clients’ information.